Sunday, February 3, 2008

Death at 28

He died at 28, the same age I am right now. His plan for his life and God's plan didn't seem to match. He was kicked out of school, denied a licence, and often in trouble with authority. He never married, had kids, nor wielded much influence. He was often sick, depressed, and lonely. Yet his legacy of faith has endured almost 300 years. His diary has never been out of print and through it countless men and women have been encouraged to take the gospel to hard places. He was David Brainerd, missionary to the American Indians, and he didn't waste his life.

"My heaven os to please God, and to glorify Him...I do not go to heaven to be advanced, but to give honor to God...Had I a thousand souls...I would give them all to God; but I have nothing to give, when all is done. It is a great comfort to me to think that I have done a little for God in the world. Oh! it is but a very small matter; yet I have done a little. I lament it that I have not done more for Him. There is nothing in the world worht living for but doing good and finishing God's work, doing the work that Christ did."

My wife and I stood at his grave and prayed that we might be like him as he was like Christ.

1 comment:

Kylee S. said...

Wonderful words to read as I embark on this day. Didn't you do you master's recital on David Brainaird? Or was it William Carey?